The computer network is an operating system consisting of a number of computers and other network devices that work together to achieve a common goal or a network consisting of the points (nodes) are connected to each other, with or without wires. Each of these nodes serve as workstations. One of the nodes as services or media server, which regulates certain functions of other nodes. Basically it's own computer network technology is a combination of computer technology and communication technology.
What Is Computer Networking Meaning And The AdvantagesThe computer network is a system that consists of computers and other network devices that work together to achieve a common goal. The purpose of the network is the computer:
1. Sharing of resources: for example, shared use of printers, CPU, memory, hard drive
Communication: eg electronic mail, instant messaging, chat
2. Access to information: for example web browsing
3. In order to achieve the same purpose, every piece of computer network request and provide the service (service). The party requesting the service is called a client (client) that provides services and called the waiter (server). This architecture is called client-server systems, and is used in almost all computer network applications.
Classification of Computer Networks based on the scale:
1. Local Area Network (LAN)Local Area Network or LAN, is a type of Computer Networks to include local area. By using a variety of network devices is quite simple and popular, such as using UTP cable (Unshielded Twisted-Pair), Hubs, Switches, Routers, and so forth. An example of such a LAN network computers interconnected in school, in the company, cafe, or between neighboring houses that still covers the LAN area.
The advantage of using such type of Computer Network LAN more efficient in operating expenses, more efficient in the use of cable, data transfer between nodes and computers seem to be more quickly because it covers a narrow area or local, and does not require telecommunications operators to create a LAN network.
The disadvantage of the use of type LAN network is a network area coverage is narrower so as to communicate outside the network becomes more difficult and the area coverage data transfer is not so wide.
2. Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)Metropolitan Area Network or MAN, is a type of Computer Networks broader and more sophisticated than Type Computer Network LAN. Called a Metropolitan Area Network for Computer Network MAN type is commonly used to connect a computer network from a city to another. To be able to create a network MAN, is usually necessary to telecommunications operators to interconnect computer networks. Examples such as office networks between cities or regions as well as modern shopping malls networks interconnected between cities.
The advantage of this type of MAN Computer Network include a wider network area coverage so as to communicate more efficiently, simplify the business case, and also in the network security better.
Disadvantages of Types of Computer Networks MAN as more use of operational costs, can be targeted by the operation of the Cracker for personal benefit, and MAN networks needed to improve quite a long time.
3. Wide Area Network (WAN)Wide Area Network or WAN, is a type of Computer Networks broader and more sophisticated than the type of Computer Network LAN and MAN. WAN networking technology used to connect a network to another state or from one continent to another. WAN network can consist of various type of Computer Network LAN and WAN because of the breadth of the coverage area of Computer Networks WAN type. Networks WAN, typically using fiber optic cables and plant them in the ground or under the sea lanes passing.
Advantages Types of Computer Networks WAN such as a wider network area coverage of Types of Computer Networks LAN and MAN, the exchange of confidential information and become more focused as to communicate from one country to another country requires more security, and also easier to develop and ease in terms of business.
The disadvantage of such type Network WAN operating costs become more necessary, are particularly vulnerable to the dangers of theft of important data, care for WAN networks become more severe.
Classification of Computer Networks by function:
Basically any existing computer network that serves as a client and a server. But there is a network that has a dedicated computer as a server and the other as a client. There is also a computer that does not have a specific function as a server only. Because it is based on function then there are two types of computer networks:
That is a computer network with a dedicated computer as a server. A service / service can be provided by a computer or more. An example is a domain such as http://www.google.com is served by many web server computer. Or it could be a lot of services provided by a single computer. An example is the company's server is a computer with a multiservice, i.e mail servers, web servers, file servers, database servers and others.
That is a computer network in which each host can be a server and a client simultaneously. For example in file sharing between computers on a Windows Network Neighbourhood Networks have 5 computers (we named A, B, C, D and E) are granted access to its files. At one point A to access the file share of B named computernetworking.xls and also gives access to the file computernetworking.doc C. When accessing files of B then A serves as a client and as a give file access to C then A is functioning as a server. Both functions were carried out by a network such as simultaneously then this is called peer to peer.
Classification of Computer Networks based on network topology:Based on [the network topology], computer networks can be distinguished:
- bus topology
- star topology
- ring topology
The purpose of a computer network:1. Networks allow more efficient management of resources: for example, many users can share a single printer with high quality, compared to using low quality printers at each desk. In addition, software license network can be cheaper than a separate stand-alone license for the same number of users, and share the use of the CPU, Memory, and hard disk.
2. Networks help maintain reliable information and to keep up-to-date: the centralized data storage system managed allows multiple users to access data from a variety of different locations, and restrict access to the data while it is being processed.
3. Networks help speed up the process of sharing the data (data sharing). Transfer data on the network is always faster than other means of data sharing network instead.
4. Networks allow groups working to communicate more efficiently. Letters and delivery of electronic messages are the substance of most of the network system, in addition to scheduling systems, project monitoring, online conferencing and groupware, which all help teams work more productively.
5. Network helps businesses to serve their clients more effectively. Remote access to centralized data allows employees to serve clients in the field and the clients can directly communicate with the supplier.
6. In order to achieve the same goal, every part of a computer network and provide the service requested. The party requesting the service is called the client and the service is called service (server). This architecture is called client-server systems, and is used in almost all computer network applications.
The Advantages Of Computer Networking
The main advantage of network sharing instantly felt it was, the worldwide Internet, because the Internet itself is essentially a series of computers (thousands and even millions of computers) that are connected to each other. Evolved and developed over time, thus forming a complex network as we feel right now.
Another advantage in terms of the internal network is:1. Resource Sharing, can use existing resources together. Suppose a user is located 100 km away from the data, do not have difficulty in using these data, as if the data is located nearby. This often means that the computer network act to distance.
2. High reliability, with a network of computers we will get a high reliability by having alternative sources of supply. For example, all the files can be saved or copied to two, three or more computers connected to the network. So that if one machine breaks, then the copy on another machine could be used.
3. Save money, have a small computer price / performance ratio better than the great computer. Large computers such as mainframes have a speed of approximately ten times the speed of a small computer / personal. Will remain, the price of mainframe thousand times more expensive than personal computers. The imbalance of the ratio of price / performance and speed is what makes the system designer to build a system that consists of personal computers.
4. Hardware sharing, For use hardware together. With the network facility and then use a tool called a printer server. it is an expensive color laser printers that can be used once the price is shared by 10 employees. Similarly, scanner, plotter, and other tools.
5. Security and data management, computers in a business environment, the presence of the network allows an administrator to organize the data the most important office. In every department of becoming fragmented and data scattered everywhere. The important data can be managed in a back end server for later replicated or backed up according to company policy. Similarly, an admin will be able to control such important data to be accessed or edited by people who are entitled to it.
6. Improved stability and performance computing, in certain circumstances, a network can be used to improve the overall performance of business applications, by way of assignment in distributed computing to multiple computers on the network.
Network losses1. Various advantages of networking media have been described at length above, but the loss has not been mentioned at all. Network with various advantages are very helpful at work in a company. But also many disadvantages when not realize it from the beginning. Here are some of the disadvantages of the implementation of the network:
2. Costs are high and then higher again. covering various aspects of network development: the purchase of hardware, software, consulting costs for network planning, then the cost for network construction services itself. This is certainly a high investment for large companies with a need for high network. As for home users is relatively small and the cost can be reduced. But from the beginning of the network also must be designed so that no more bloated overhead costs because the mission to fulfill the need for a computer network.
3. Hardware Management and Administration system: In a business organization that has a system, the administration felt a small thing, at least when compared to the cost of the work and costs incurred in the implementation phase. However, this is the most important stage. Since the error on this point can lead to reconsideration of construction even reset the network. This maintenance management is ongoing and requires an IT professional, who has understood his duty properly. Or at least do not have the training and network training is specific to the needs of his office.
4. Sharing unwanted files: With the good comes the bad, it is always a common thing applies (ambiguous), the ease of sharing files in a network that is intended to be used by certain people, often resulting in the leaking of sharing folders and can be read also by the others are not eligible. This will always happen if they are not regulated by the network administrator.
5. Application viruses and hacking methods: these things are always a frightening specter for everyone, resulting in network down and cessation of work. This problem is a classic because the system is not well planned. This issue will be further described in chapter network security.